Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Book Breakups

You know the feeling -- you're 80 pages into that new book you've been dying to read, and despite your best efforts (you're optimistic, attentive, and open minded), a tiny voice in the back of your head is beginning to tell you that this relationship is going nowhere. At what point do you decide to cut your losses and run?

A good way to begin assessing the odds of an imminent literary breakup is to ask yourself: Why was I attracted to this book in the first place? The following reasons usually presage a bad end:

1. "I really, really wanted to be the kind of person who would fall in love with this book." Who wouldn't want to cleanse their soul with "Buddha Is As Buddha Does" after a lost weekend of extravagant shoe shopping or bar hopping? Problem: after about three days, your guilt level abates, your inner self begins to resurface, and you suspect that Buddha could benefit from a stiff drink and a makeover.

2. "We looked so good when we were together." We all know that a worn paperback by Kafka (Palahniuk, Auster, etc.) really resonates with those edgy eyeglasses that you purchased last month, but face it, most enjoyable reading takes place when no one is looking.

3. "We hooked up on impulse -- the King's English was charming, it was hors d'oeuvre night, and I'd never seen a more enticing book jacket." Everyone's done this at least once. Blame it on the box wine.

4. "My mom (sister, best friend, etc.) wouldn't stop pestering me until I read this book." If your mom's favorite book of all time was "The Bridges of Madison County," you should have seen this one coming. Plus, remember that time when you finally caved in and agreed to go to the junior prom with your piano teacher's nephew . . . . .

5. "I thought it would pique my boyfriend's interest if he saw me reading this book." This is the literary equivalent of subjecting yourself to that tight, scratchy lingerie from VS. Have a little self respect.

Seriously, it is hard to know when to call it quits with a book. On the one hand, as I get older, I realize that life is short and I don't need to commit to every book I happen to check out of the library. On the other hand, perseverance sometimes has its rewards -- after a rocky start, I decided to give "Tree of Smoke" by Denis Johnson the benefit of a doubt, and now that I've arrived at page 250 (the book is over 600 pages long!) I find myself totally engrossed with the characters and the story as a whole. I'm really glad I hung in there. I'd love to hear from others about just how far they are willing to go with a book before they decide it's just not going to happen.

2 comments:

gettsr said...

Hilarious post. "Blame it on the box wine" cracks me up. As someone who has worked in the book business for 8 years now you have no idea how many books I have waiting. Like gilted lovers they mock me. I generally go with "The Nancy Pearl" rule:
1. Take your age.
2. Subtract it from a 100.
3. The difference is how many pages a book has to hook you.
4. If you're not hooked, move on.

Again highly enjoyable. Rachel Getts, Book Slave.

beccitwopointzero said...

This is laugh-out loud funny and great. I will be coming back often! Excellent! Becci